Our Cousin Ian made us these amazing grilled cheese sandwiches this weekend using our Traditional 18-year aged Dark Balsamic Vinegar and the Mushroom & Sage Infused EVOO. The combination of the sweet, balsamic-reduced onions and the savory flavour from the cheese and EVOO is just magic. Enjoy making these gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches with the Mushroom & Sage Infused EVOO, or use your own favourite EVOO!
Ian’s Balsamic Onion & Apple Grilled Cheese
- 340g shredded cheese divided evenly into 4 portions. We like Bothwell’s three cheese blend of Gouda, Monterey Jack and White Cheddar
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 60ml of Frescolio’s Traditional 18-year aged Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 8 slices of bread. Rye works nicely
- Enough butter to lightly coat a small pan
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, sliced. We like Gala apples for this recipe
- 120 ml of Frescolio’s Mushroom & Sage Infused EVOO
- In a small pan, melt butter until sizzling then add onions. Sweat onions 5-7 minutes or until almost clear. Add balsamic vinegar and simmer on medium heat 3-5 minutes. Add brown sugar and reduce over medium-low heat for 7 minutes or until balsamic vinegar thickens.
- In a large frying pan, brush or drizzle each slice of bread with 1 tsp of EVOO. Layer onions onto bread, add one half portion of cheese on top. Then add three apple slices and finish with the other half portion of cheese. Add final slice of bread, brush or drizzle with EVOO and flip once the bread is golden brown.