- In a medium, heavy saucepan mix the red wine, balsamic, sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise. Bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/3 (about 15 minutes).
- Place the pear halves in to the hot poaching liquid and simmer for 25 minutes or until the pear halves are vivid red and tender when pierced with a knife tip.
- Chill the pears in the poaching liquid.
Honey Cinnamon Mascarpone
- Using a stand mixer or in a medium mixing bowl, whip the mascarpone, honey and cinnamon together until light and airy.
- Serve the chilled pears with a dollop of mascarpone.